Goldenseal Pro Progress Report (Oct 10)

For each Goldenseal software update, we use a fairly standardized development flow. At the beginning, we schedule large changes and major redesigns. Those are most likely to add subtle new bugs, and it’s good to have plenty of time to catch them before users do. As work progresses, we gradually become less daring. Near the end, we only make the smallest of changes, proceeding with extreme caution.

Goldenseal Pro is by far our biggest upgrade to date, so it has been an opportunity to make very large changes to the guts of the software. Some are fixes for design choices that we later regretted. Some is refactoring, to take advantage of modern C++ and modern hardware. Some is just rewriting mediocre code so it is simpler, more reliable, better organized, and/or easier to maintain.

Last week, we merged the two classes that managed the basic data entry interface, and then split off five helper classes. It took some futzing to get everything working together, but by mid-week the code ran just like it did before. The new setup will be much easier for our staff to navigate, over the next few months.

After that, we started on the Windows interface, which was soon ready to load record data onto the screen. It then needed some real data so we could actually run the code and see something.

More than a year ago, we wrote a translator that converts existing Mac files to the new Pro format. It is mostly there so users can transfer their existing data, but it also helps us. We use a converted version of the Sample Company File for testing, which is much easier than creating temporary records. So, we ran the translator code on Windows for the first time, but it gave a zillion errors.

Goldenseal Pro uses a new database system to manage records. However, the translator still uses NeoAccess (our former database engine) to read existing data files. It is old, 1980s-style code that is the C++ equivalent to a crawl space filled with spider webs and mummified rodents. Sadly, that’s what was breaking. Our staff spent a couple days slithering around in the murk, converting obscure 32-bit code to 64-bit. Fortunately, that was all it needed, and the Windows translator now runs OK.

With the prep work finished, we can move on to interface programming. It is a lot more fun! There are frequent small triumphs and visible changes, which makes the effort seem more rewarding. The past few months have mostly been spent slogging through libraries and groundwork, so it’s a treat to switch to more tangible work.

Dennis Kolva
Programming Director
TurtleSoft.com

 

Author: Dennis Kolva

Programming Director for Turtle Creek Software. Design & planning of accounting and estimating software.