The 90-90 Rule

There is a saying in software engineering that the first 90% of the project takes the first 90% of the time, then the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.  For brand-new coding, I think it may even be a 90-90-90 rule, where the final 1% takes the really-last 90% of the time.

Anyhow, our new database code is working pretty well now, though we still need to test it on really large data sets, and stress-test it over the summer.  In other words, the second 90% is now completed.  Everything is much simpler and safer than the old NeoAccess code, so it will be much easier to maintain.  It’s designed for modern systems and uses modern C++.

We also finished the code that reads existing Goldenseal files, and writes them to the new file format.  That means that people’s existing Goldenseal data will be very easy to move into Goldenseal Pro.  We will be testing that code as well for the rest of the summer.  We’ll run Turtle Creek on the new version for a while, before opening it to beta testers.

Dennis Kolva
Programming Director
Turtle Creek Software

Author: Dennis Kolva

Programming Director for Turtle Creek Software. Design & planning of accounting and estimating software.